by Alicia Weston
Here’s some enigmas (silly stuff) and questions that have always made me wonder. I’ve never really found legitimate answers for them. As a child I was taught that every question deserves an answer and was encouraged to have an inquisitive mind to broaden my horizon. I wish to do the same for you by introducing you to these interesting mysteries. Do you know the answers or have other crazy questions? If you do, leave a comment!
1. If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?
2. If a cow laughed real hard would milk come out its nose?
3. Did you know that Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia means fear of long words.
4. We’re born with 300 bones but only make it to adulthood with 206.
5. Why does dirty snow melt faster than clean snow?
6. Are Cooties Real?
7. Why does mineral water that 'has trickled through mountains forever' have a 'use by' date?
8. Why does fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?
9. Why is there Braille on a drive-up ATM window?
10. If a mute swears, does his mother make him wash his hands with soap?
11. Why does your nose run and your feet smell?
12. Why is it called “Alcoholics Anonymous” if the first thing you do when you join is to stand up and say, “My name is _________ and I am an alcoholic”?
13. If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?
14. Why does Goofy stand up while Pluto remains on all fours? They're both dogs!
15. If you can't drink and drive, why do bars have parking lots?
16. If a black box in a plane is indestructible, why can't they make the whole plane out of the same material?
17. Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
18. Why are there flotation devices under plane seats? Shouldn’t that be parachutes?
19. If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
20. Why is a person that handles your money called a 'Broker'?
21. How can some frogs and fish can survive after being frozen solid?
22. Is it possible to collect all the cookie dough in chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and actually bake cookies from it?
23. How permanent are permanent markers?
Alicia Weston is a junior and a former student at Friendship Collegiate Academy.