FNN Goes To Puerto Rico: Day 3



I hear the loud ringing of the alarm. It’s 5:50 am. A sudden rush of panic surges through me. I rush to put my clothes on and then scramble my way down the steps. I hurry and put my bags in the taxi, hoping we won’t miss the ferry to Vieques.

We load our luggage onto the ferry and go aboard to the deck. We get a great view of all the little islands and extinct volcanoes. As we arrived at the dock in Vieques, I could see beautiful baby sharks and other fishes. The water was bluer than a bouquet of violets. The island of Vieques is the most beautiful part of Puerto Rico.

After renting a car, we go straight to lunch. Famished, I swiftly chow down my lunch. The hotel is unbelievable, I mean completely incredible! The rooms are very spacious and homey. We have a great view of the beach and pool.

The rest of the day went by calmly. We relaxed in the pool and hung out in our rooms until dinner, where we enjoyed a lovely feast. There were nachos with jalapeños, black olives, onions, cheese, chicken, beef, and tomato. We had fish sandwiches, salads, and hummus with pita chips. Dinner was my favorite part of the day. After dinner we gave each other hugs and said our good nights.

- Noel Spencer, sophomore, Friendship Colleigate Academy.

Today we woke up extra early to catch the ferry to Vieques, which is another island in Puerto Rico. We had a wonderful breakfast while we were waiting. The ferry ride was a little bit rocky. After we took a couple of pictures on the boat, I laid down because I had a headache and slept for the rest of the ride. When we got off the ferry, we had to wait 20 minutes for a cab to take us to a car rental place. After we got the rental car, we took off for the hotel we were going to stay in. We kind got lost on the way. To my surprise when we got to the hotel it was nice. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. The hotel had a very cozy and home-like feeling to it. Our rooms were really spacious and well-designed and well made. After unpacking and settling down in our rooms, a staff member gave us a tour of the hotel. Next, we took a 20-minute walk down the street to get food. We ended up going to a place called Belly Buttons. It had really great and delicious food. We took a taxi back to the hotel after lunch. When we got back, we all decided to go to the pool. The pool water was nice and clear and clean. After swimming, we all freshened up to go to dinner. We had dinner at a place called Lazy Jack’s. The food there was equally as great as the food at Belly Buttons. After dinner we came back for a night swim and ate Nachos. We danced and had fun. Today was an adventure. I can’t wait for the next!

- India Brown, 8th grade graduate, Friendship Collegiate Academy.

Today on June 22, 2013, we woke up really early in the morning to catch the ferry to go to Vieques, Puerto Rico. My roommate, Jonay and I had to rush and get ready to meet the taxi, so we could leave. We got our clothes on really fast. We never rushed to put our clothes on like that before. We got downstairs just in time for the taxi and we left. The trip to Vieques was an hour long boat ride and I did not enjoy it. Everyone wanted to go on the top of the boat, while I was satisfied with being at the bottom. We had to take a lot of pictures and record the boat ride. It was beautiful scenery to look at. I started to get sea sick towards the middle of the ride and I had a headache. When we catch the ferry to go back to San Juan I will not sit at the top.

Once we arrived at Vieques, we were all very exhausted by the sun. We all wanted to go to the hotel and rest. We went to a rent-a-car place and waited for our van to take us to get our Jeep. Once we got to the rent-a-car place we had waited approximately 30-40 minutes for the van to arrive. Once the van got there it took us about 8 minutes to get our Jeep, and once we got our Jeep everyone was happy that we had it because we were ready to go to the hotel.

Once we pulled up to where we were going to stay, we were all fascinated by what the place looked like. When we walked into our hotel it took us about 30 minutes to get checked in and settled. Once we were settled, we went to Belly Buttons to have lunch and we walked around to a few shops and vendors. When we got back, we changed up for the pool. The pool was fun besides the fact that I was drowning in 8 feet. After that traumatizing event happened I got out of the pool for good. We changed our clothes later on and we went to dinner at Lucky Jack’s.

After dinner we went back to the pool and came inside and took showers. Jonay, Noel, and I did not sleep in our beds because there was an ant in my bed. The hotel room had Raid ant spray in our room (7) and we already knew that wasn’t a good site. So, for the rest of the trip I will be sleeping in a chair/couch with a comfortable pillow and blanket.

- Stephanie Spencer, sophomore, Friendship Collegiate Academy.

Today is June 22, 2013. This is our first day in Vieques. We left San Juan around 6:00 am. I had to rush from our hotel room to be on time for the boat. We caught a taxi to the ferry. I was sleep the whole way through.  I woke up about 6 minutes before we arrived at the boat. Everyone grabbed their luggage out of the van and stood to the side, and asked people for directions. We then decided that we would go get breakfast.  I don’t remember the name of the place, but I ordered myself a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on English muffin bread. It was disgusting. After breakfast we all went to go stand in line so we can board the boat. It was at least an hour-long wait.  When we finally did board the boat I made a video of all the things that were around us. When we looked out into the water you could see right through it. I believe I saw a shark but I'm still not sure what it was that I actually saw.  Once we arrived on the island we had to wait about 45 minutes for a van to come pick us up for our rental car.  When we got there, we had to wait another 30 minutes. We got an all white jeep. It looks nice to me but some of the other girls thought otherwise. We got to our hotel and everything was worth the wait. The scenery was to die for. The décor is cute and old-fashioned. It seems that everyone was pleased with the rooms also. There is even a pool and the people at this hotel are far more welcoming than the people at the last hotel. 

- Jonay Veney, sophomore, Friendship Collegiate Academy.